Dimitri Mugianis (@dimitrimugianis on Instagram) is a drug policy activist, Bwiti spiritual healer, poet, and musician. At the depths of his own heroin and cocaine addiction, Dimitri discovered Ibogaine, a plant sacrament from Central Africa that allowed him to break his habit without withdrawal symptoms. Now he provides a safe and dogma-free container for others, in which to experience psychedelic medicine emphasizing self-love and acceptance. Dimitri is currently N’ganga-in-residence at the New York Harm Reduction Educators (NYHRE), a service-based community working with addicted, homeless, formerly incarcerated, and HIV-positive people in East Harlem and The Bronx.
In this episode, you’ll hear from Dimitri on:
- [10.35] His 20-year addiction to heroin and cocaine. Dimitri talks frankly about his feelings of desperation and his decision to travel abroad to cure his habit using ibogaine, a psychoactive substance derived from the roots of an African plant.
- [16.10] Dimitri’s personal experience of taking ibogaine and his mission to make it available in the United States. His role in the film I’m Dangerous With Love which documents his work administering ibogaine, a Schedule 1 substance, and records his initiation into the Bwiti religion in Gabon.
- [31.47] The principles of radical love and acceptance and their potential to transform lives and communities. The process of healing as a shared experience where both the healer and the healed are active participants.
- [47.53] The New York Harm Reduction Educators’ (NYHRE’s) non-judgmental and non-prescriptive approach to working with people who use drugs. Dimitri’s work as a holistic health counselor at NYHRE and his incorporation of dancing, drumming and ritual elements into his weekly ‘We Are The Medicine’ meetings.
- [1.04.24] Psychedelic Disintegration; the title of Dimitri’s weekly discussion group where he provides a space to further the conversation on the role of psychedelic medicines. As a drug policy and harm reduction activist, Dimitri expresses his desire to change attitudes and disintegrate structures that are no longer useful.
- Reconnect to your divine Self this December. Join me and Veronica Lombo on an immersive retreat in Bali: henrywins.com/bali
- Join me for my final New York workshops: henrywins.com/events
Links from this episode:
- I’m Dangerous With Love – The film depicting Dimitri’s journey into the world of shamanic ritual.
- New York Harm Reduction Educators
- Looking for your next book to read? Check out the list of every book recommended on Dharma Talk
Get in touch with Dimitri:
- Follow @dimitrimugianis on Instagram
- Visit Dimitri’s website – www.dimitrimugianis.com
Support the Podcast:
- If you find this podcast valuable you can support it directly by visiting: henrywins.com/donate