Taylor Hunt (@taylorhuntyoga) is a Level 2 Authorized Ashtanga Yoga teacher, published author, podcast host, and executive director of the Trini Foundation, which brings Ashtanga Yoga to people in recovery. Taylor wrote his memoir A Way from Darkness and hosts the Heartbreak Kids podcast to help inspire others to continue finding healing through yoga, even in the darkest of times. Taylor operates Ashtanga Yoga Columbus out of his home base in Ohio.
In this episode, you’ll hear from Taylor on:
- [11.03] The family trauma that led to his addiction to alcohol, painkillers, and eventually heroin. Taylor reveals that he had his first drink on the day his parents got divorced and continued to use alcohol and drugs as a way of coping with his feelings.
- [25.50] Taylor’s introduction to yoga and his sudden realization of the damage his long-term drug use had done to his body. He reflects on his decision to persist with his practice even though it forced him to face uncomfortable truths about his life.
- [36.18] His creation of the Trini Foundation, a not-for-profit organization which Taylor set up to help other people achieve sobriety. The foundation teaches Ashtanga Yoga to recovering addicts and offers scholarships to its students to allow them to continue with their practice after they leave treatment.
- [41.30] Similarities between the eight limbs of yoga and the twelve-step recovery program. Taylor explains that, although the details may differ, the ultimate aim of both systems is to enable their followers to become better people and live more fulfilling lives.
- [52.03] The Heartbreak Kids podcast, a show which Taylor hosts in order to give his guests an opportunity to share their stories in a supportive environment. It recounts inspirational tales of triumph over tragedy and provides a platform for discussion on the restorative power of yoga.
- Reconnect to your divine Self this December. Join me and Veronica Lombo on an immersive retreat in Bali: https://henrywins.com/bali/
- Join me for upcoming workshops: https://henrywins.com/events/
Links from this episode:
- Visit henryyoga.com to learn how to level up your yoga practice in just 40 days
- Follow @henryyoga.app on Instagram
- Leaders Eat Last by Simon Sinek – Grab a copy of Taylor’s recommended book
- Looking for your next book to read? Check out the list of every book recommended on Dharma Talk
- Visit www.trinifoundation.org to learn more about the work they’re doing to help people use yoga to beat addiction
- Tune in to the Taylor’s Heartbreak Kids Podcast
- Learn more about Taylor’s journey from addiction to health through his book A Way from Darkness
Get in touch with Taylor:
Support the Podcast:
- If you find this podcast valuable you can support it directly by visiting: henrywins.com/donate