Janet Stone (@janetstoneyoga) is a global yoga warrior, servant to the breath, and student of this heart journey. Janet’s studentship began at 17 under the meditation teachings of Prem Rawat. In 1996, she traveled to India, the birthplace of her grandfather, and became dedicated to the path of yoga. Janet blends the alchemy of her own practice with decades of study. She aspires not to teach but to allow the practice to emanate from her, letting awareness blend with movement and breath. Based in San Francisco, she leads immersions, retreats, workshops and more locally and internationally.
In this episode, you’ll hear from Janet on:
- [09.20] Embracing her humanity. Rather than reaching for transcendence, she focuses on integrating yoga philosophy, and particularly, the qualities of kindness and compassion into her life by extending them towards her family, her community and the wider world.
- [18.50] From Hollywood to motherhood. Janet charts the steps on her life’s path, from her career in the film industry and introduction to asana practice in India to her return to California, where she raised a family and set up a sangha.
- [22.05] Learning lessons from death. How the experience of watching her father die provided the basis for Janet’s spiritual practice, forcing her to face her own mortality and come to terms with the passing of loved ones.
- [33.59] The concept of enoughness. Critical of our constant need to do better and own more, Janet advises us to practice gratitude for what we have rather than fixating on what we feel is missing from our lives.
- [46.20] The link between sustainability and yoga practice. Janet urges us to treat the earth as well as we treat our bodies, to act with care and compassion towards the environment and to avoid letting our greed for consumer goods destroy the planet’s resources.
- Visit https://www.henryyoga.com/masterclass to get your free 60-minute hatha vinyasa masterclass
- Follow @henryyoga.app on Instagram
- Visit www.warriorbridge.com/teachertraining to learn more about their upcoming teacher trainings
- Go to www.henrywins.com/vitamin to claim 10% off Future Kind Vitamins
- Check out https://henrywins.com/events/ to view all my upcoming workshops
Links from this episode:
- The Ramayana by R. K. Narayan – Grab a copy of Janet’s recommended book
- Looking for your next book to read? Check out the list of every book recommended on Dharma Talk
Get in touch with Janet:
Support the Podcast:
- If you find this podcast valuable you can support it directly by visiting: henrywins.com/donate