For the series finale, we are joined by Sri Dharma Mittra (@dharmayogacenter). The legendary yoga teacher first encountered yoga as a teenager before meeting his guru in 1964 and beginning his training in earnest. Sri Dharma founded one of the early independent schools of yoga in New York City in 1975 and has taught many tens of thousands the world over in the years since. Sri Dharma is the model and creator of The Master Yoga Chart of 908 Postures and the author of ASANAS: 608 Yoga Poses, the LOAY Teachers’ Manual, and Yoga Wisdom. He has released two DVDs to date – Maha Sadhana Levels I and II — and recently captured classes are available for streaming via alomoves.com, YogaJournal.com and Vimeo On Demand. Sri Dharma continues to disseminate the complete traditional science of yoga through daily classes, international workshops, and his Life of a Yogi Teacher Trainings at the Dharma Yoga New York Center.
In this episode, you’ll hear from Sri Dharma Mittra on:
- [11.15] His definition of dharma. He explains how he aspires to live up to the name bestowed on him by his guru through the practice of self-discipline, the pursuit of truth and the constant development of his inner intuition.
- [13.00] His current practice. In his eightieth year, Sri Dharma Mittra’s daily routine consists of several rounds of agni sara, forearm stands, and yoga nidra, a practice which he believes increases insight and restores health to the body.
- [17.33] Ethical conduct and veganism. Sri Dharma Mittra advocates adopting an ethical and compassionate lifestyle, including embracing a cruelty-free plant-based diet, in order to enhance our intuition and increase the likelihood of experiencing spiritual bliss.
- [32.00] Developing psychic powers. He reveals how certain yogic techniques can be used to heighten psychic abilities but stresses that the practice must be consistent in order to be effective.
- [49.18] The purpose of the asanas. Sri Dharma explains that the meaning of the asanas is to represent all forms of creation, from the grossest to the most subtle, and that by doing all the postures we can deepen our sense of universal connection and cultivate infinite inner peace.
- Visit henryyoga.com to learn how to level up your yoga practice in just 40 days. Use code “HOMEPRACTICE” to get lifetime access to the Henry Yoga App for just $25
- Follow @henryyoga.app on Instagram
- Go to http://www.warriorbridge.com/#schedule-section to view their virtual class schedule
- Visit www.wayteamshop.com to learn more about their design and marketing services.
Links from this episode:
- Grab a copy of Dharma Mittra’s recommended books:
- The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Sri Swami Satchidananda
- Get a copy of Dharma Mittra’s books:
- Looking for your next book to read? Check out the list of every book recommended on Dharma Talk
Get in touch with Sri Dharma Mittra:
Support the Podcast:
- If you find this podcast valuable you can support it directly by visiting: henrywins.com/donate